The President’s Fiscal Year (FY) 2019 Budget for USAID supports the President’s commitment to serve the needs of American citizens, ensure their safety, promote their prosperity, preserve their rights, and defend their values, as outlined in the President’s National Security Strategy. It advances U.S. foreign policy goals through targeted investments that protect U.S. national security, and furthers American interests at home and abroad.
Ultimately, our goal is to achieve a future in which foreign assistance is no longer needed and to support partners that are self-reliant and capable of leading their own development journeys. By reducing the reach of conflict; preventing the spread of pandemic disease; and counteracting the drivers of violence, instability, transnational crime and other security threats, this budget will help bring us closer to that day. It is designed to promote American prosperity through investments that expand markets for U.S. exports; help create a level playing field for U.S. businesses; support more stable, resilient and democratic societies; and address crises.
FY 2019 BUDGET HIGHLIGHTS
The FY 2019 President’s Budget for the State Department and USAID is $39.3 billion, which includes
$16.8 billion in assistance that USAID fully or partially manages through the Economic Support and Development Fund, Global Health Programs, Transition Initiatives, International Disaster Assistance, and USAID operational accounts. The USAID programs funded through these accounts will help developing countries make progress on their path to self-reliance and prosperity.
THE FY 2019 BUDGET WILL ENABLE USAID TO:
PROTECT AMERICA’S SECURITY AT HOME AND ABROAD
- DEFEAT ISIS AND OTHER VIOLENT EXTREMIST ORGANIZATIONS by countering ISIS at its core in Iraq, Syria and elsewhere around the world, promoting stability in areas where these groups could spread, and supporting the needs of displaced religious minorities in the Middle East and North USAID’s programs target the root causes of violent extremism, rebuild economic opportunities and good governance, and address related complex crises caused by ISIS, Boko Haram, al-Shabaab, al-Qa’ida and other violent extremist organizations.
- PROTECT S. STRATEGIC INTERESTS IN EUROPE, EURASIA AND CENTRAL ASIA byreducing vulnerability to Russian aggression and malign influence; strengthening market economies and trade opportunities, independent media and democratic institutions; and promoting anti- corruption and energy-independence efforts in Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
- EXPAND OPPORTUNITIES TO PROMOTE LASTING STABILITY, PEACE AND DEMOCRACY by strengthening institutions and civil society to promote accountable governance that is responsive to citizens and fosters USAID will encourage host government partners and civil society organizations to undertake critical reforms to establish legitimate governance, restore the rule of law, and address local grievances, particularly among women, religious and ethnic minorities, and other marginalized communities.
RENEW AMERICA’S COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE FOR SUSTAINED ECONOMIC GROWTH AND JOB CREATION
- CATALYZE COMMERCE AND TRADE by facilitating trade and supporting economic reforms that combat corruption, promote transparency and accountability, and strengthen market-oriented governance and institutions to create markets for S. exports and opportunities for U.S. investors.
- LEVERAGE STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS WITH THE PRIVATE SECTOR by harnessing the assets, skills and financial resources of businesses to drive development, advance shared interests and opportunities, and support the S. Government’s development finance efforts in coordination with the Development Finance Institution (DFI).
PROMOTE AMERICAN LEADERSHIP THROUGH BALANCED ENGAGEMENT
- PROVIDE LEADERSHIP IN RESPONSE TO HUMANITARIAN CRISES by assisting victims of conflict and natural disasters, providing emergency food aid, and addressing the underlying causes of food
- MOBILIZE COUNTRIES’ OWN DOMESTIC USAID will help developing countries become more self-reliant by enabling them to mobilize and manage domestic public and private resources more effectively and leverage other available financing sources.
- IMPROVE GLOBAL PUBLIC HEALTH AND PREVENT THE SPREAD OF USAID Global Health Programs, along with the Department of State Global Health Programs, contribute to global efforts to support three goals: controlling the HIV/AIDS epidemic; preventing child and maternal deaths; and combating infectious diseases, including preventing pandemic influenza and the spread of other dangerous pathogens. USAID will work across a variety of health priorities, including the President’s Malaria Initiative, the Global Health Security Agenda, nutrition, tuberculosis, neglected tropical diseases, family planning, and women’s health.
- SET THE EXPECTATION that other donors will do their fair share to support economic growth and development worldwide and to address humanitarian
ENSURE EFFECTIVENESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY TO THE AMERICAN TAXPAYER
- MAXIMIZE THE IMPACT OF EVERY DOLLAR by continuing to improve accountability and transparency through strengthened program design; increased use of innovative awards and co- creation with partners; rigorous monitoring and evaluation; improved response to program and financial audits; and the systematic application of lessons
- ENHANCE EFFECTIVENESS THROUGH POLICY AND PROCESS REDESIGN by better aligning foreign assistance with national security and foreign policy priorities; developing a more flexible workforce; and fostering continual improvement, creativity and
For more information, please contact the USAID Press Office at [email protected].