The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
April 9, 2019
“It’s a great honor to be with President El-Sisi, a friend—a great
friend—of Egypt. And we have very special things happening. Our relationship
has never been stronger. And we’re working with Egypt on many different fronts,
including military and trade.” – President Donald J. Trump
A STRATEGIC AND POWERFUL PARTNERSHIP: The United States and Egypt have a strong relationship with many security and economic implications.
- Today marks the second visit of President El-Sisi to the White House since 2017.
- Egypt has long been an important strategic partner in the Middle East.
- United States assistance to
Egypt has played a central role in the country’s economic and military
- Since the 1979 Egypt–Israel Treaty of Peace, the United States has provided Egypt with more than $40 billion in military assistance and $30 billion in economic assistance.
- Egypt has become an anchor of stability in the Middle East, as exemplified by its enduring forty-year peace with Israel.
- The United States encourages the Egyptian government to preserve space for civil society and to protect human rights.
PROMOTING REGIONAL STABILITY: President Trump is strengthening our partnership with Egypt and promoting regional stability across the Middle East.
- President Trump is working with Egypt on issues impacting regional stability including conflicts in Libya, Syria, and Yemen and progress on the Middle East Strategic Alliance.
- The Trump Administration is working with Egypt to combat terrorism
and to stop the spread of radical Islamic terrorism.
- The United States is providing Egypt with military training and equipment to support counterterrorism efforts.
- We continue to strengthen our strategic relationship through security cooperation and broader security efforts.
- President Trump applauds Egypt’s efforts to advance female economic empowerment and promote religious freedom.
- The Trump Administration supports the Egyptian government’s bold program of economic reform, which will set Egypt on the course of long-term economic stability.
- Egypt hosted the inaugural meeting of the Eastern Mediterranean Gas Forum, which will enhance economic cooperation and shared prosperity among countries across the region.
EXPANDING FAIR AND RECIPROCAL TRADE: President Trump is building on the strong and robust trade relationship between the United States and Egypt.
- The United States and Egypt have a robust bilateral trade relationship.
- President Trump hopes to build on this relationship through cooperation and mutual benefit.
- America is one of Egypt’s leading trade partners.
- In 2018, the United States goods trade surplus with Egypt was $2.6 billion, a 9.3 percent increase from 2017.
- In 2018, United States goods exports to Egypt totaled $5.1 billion, up 26.7 percent from 2017.
- America and Egypt continue to work together to promote fair trade and increased investment by addressing market access, standards, labor, and intellectual property protection issues.