12/13/2019 06:18 PM EST
Office of the Spokesperson
“As long as malign behavior continues, so will our campaign of maximum pressure… these sanctions are aimed not at China, not at the Iranian people, but at the leadership of the Islamic Republic of Iran that is engaged in activity that poses threats around the world…We will continue to build out this effort to seek to convince the Iranian leadership to conform their actions to be a normal nation.”
- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo, Remarks to the Press, December 11
UNITED STATES DESIGNATES KEY IRANIAN SHIPPING AND AVIATION ENTITIES
- The United States is announcing designations against three Iranian entities linked to the risk of proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and is sanctioning eight other entities that helped smuggle weapons from Iran to Yemen.
- The State Department is announcing the designation of the Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines (IRISL), its China-based subsidiary, E-Sail Shipping Company Ltd, and the Iranian airline Mahan Air under Executive Order 13382, which targets proliferators of WMD and their delivery systems, as well as their supporters. The Iranian regime has continued to procure proliferation-sensitive items in violation of UN Security Council Resolution 2231.
- These designations should serve as a warning that doing business with IRISL, E-Sail, or Mahan Air risks contributing to Iran’s proliferation-sensitive programs, including its nuclear and missile programs. To allow exporters of humanitarian goods to Iran sufficient time to find alternate shipping methods, the designations for IRISL and E-Sail Shipping Company Ltd will have a brief wind-down period. State’s designation of Mahan Air pursuant to E.O. 13382, and Treasury’s designation of three of Mahan Air general sales agents pursuant to E.O. 13224, are effective immediately.
- Please see the press statement and Department of Treasury for more information.
SECRETARY POMPEO ISSUES STATEMENT IN RESPONSE TO THE RELEASE OF XIYUE WANG FROM IRAN
- “Another American is coming home. Xiyue Wang, who has been held on false charges in Iran for over three years, has now been released and is on his way back to the United States. Mr. Wang will soon be reunited with his wife and son, who have missed him dearly. The United States will not rest until we bring every American detained in Iran and around the world back home to their loved ones.”
- “We thank the Swiss government for facilitating the return of Mr. Wang and are pleased that Tehran has been constructive in this matter. We continue to call for the release of all U.S. citizens unjustly detained in Iran.”
– Secretary of State Michael Pompeo, press statement, December 7